Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Today I arrived home and in time to celebrate with Jack on Father's Day. We always tease each other that he's not my father and I'm not his mother (and the fact that we don't have children together) but we still share with one another and feel blessed that we can experience the joy of parenthood together.

I was on my five hour flight (direct) from Newark and I'm glad to be home. However, I'm glad that I went there and was with my sister to support them in whatever way I could. My brother-in-law, Steph is home from the hospital and now we are just waiting the results of more bad looking lymph nodes. The surgeon told Steph that he didn't like the looks of quite a few on the one side and so surgery took a bit longer as he chose to remove them to be sent to pathology. My nephews don't like the look of their dad's bruised abdomen nor the staples that run down one side of his body - not cool for a 11 & 9 year old. I don't remember spending such good quality time with my sister in years. It was nice to hear about her life and her work at the kids school. They are a close family and I know that the next little while will be tough on them as they wait for the results as to whether or not Steph needs further treatments.
While I was away my dad (he lives in Saskatoon) also started his chemotherapy and had a few complications. He does 2 days (4 - 6 hours each day) of chemo and then he is on 6 pills a day for 4 days. Well on day 2 he took a reaction to the chemo and his blood pressure went to 185 so needless to say the nursing/doctor staff had a bit of a panic trying to get him stable. We know that God is also watching over him and I know that they have a great belief system. They are faithful Catholics and believe that God will be with them every step of the way, just as he was nine years ago when my dad had cancer and 28 years ago when my mom had breast cancer.
So begins another busy week with trying to get caught up with work, my husband and my kids. To all you Father's out there, a very Happy Father's Day!

No comments: