Monday, April 12, 2010

Where is Your Church Family

I'm sure that most won't be surprised by this title, and maybe some will be. But our church family was ripped away by six men who arbitrarily decided that Jack shouldn't be employed by the church do to "restructuring" and so a decision like that wipes out what/where/who you belong to after 11 years for me and a life time for Jack. Is there hurt - you bet! Is there a sense of being kicked to the curb - you bet! Do I feel rejected - you bet! This is something that I have never ever felt in my lifetime. When we came to the church it was because some young punks decided to re-design our home in a destructive way. And the church welcomed us, helped us heal and offered us a safe haven of not judging people and being there for them in their time of need and their time of joy. I felt like I had reached the end of a rainbow, so I threw myself into events that I loved to do to give back. To give to others that needed a meal or a hug or to just come to something that showed people cared. I even felt so inclined to be re-baptized and to make the decision as an adult to have this done. As I had been baptized in infancy and now being a mature adult and having a wonderful, supporting small group who encouraged spiritual growth - now was the time.
As I stand by my husband, which has been something that I have done for the past 18 years of marriage I realize that together, no matter what has been done, we as a couple must not and cannot have our faith taken away from us. We must journey together and try to realign ourselves with a "new" church family. For me, I will still have reservations and for Jack, it will probably never be the same as his family heritage stretches so far back with the Church of Christ. Yet somehow we have to trust in God to continue and not let us be bitter towards friends in Christ as in the end, it is God that judges and for us we pray that God will be walking with us in our new journey of "Where is our NEW Church Family"?

5 comments:

Brandi said...

"Yet somehow we have to trust in God to continue and not let us be bitter towards friends in Christ as in the end..."
Amen! You guys must keep focus on God through this fantastic display of love and brotherhood and Jesus-like behaviour. Isn't it SO wonderful to have a church family that you can trust and rely on and know that they want only the best for you?!
I say good riddance to c of c!

Davis Family said...

We have sure been thinking of you all. And I look forward to seeing you Sunday for an overdue hug.
God bless you and Jack.
Roberta & family

Anonymous said...

I was saddened to hear the announcement Sunday. I can only try understand how you both are feeling. You guys both mean alot to us. Please keep in touch.

Fiona D.

Carrie Brown said...

I just now found your blog! I am so sorry Jack and Gerri about what happened. Sorry for the hurt and loss that you are feeling and wish we could help you in some way. You were a huge support to us. Please know that not everyone that goes to that church feels the same way. Earle and I have seen the relationships with people that you have sincerely developed and also seen times when Jack has stepped forward in issues that were hard to face, with honesty and integrity. I don't know why these things happen. We will be saying prayers for your healing and that you find a place where you feel the spirit is leading you to. Also, I think it is wise to remember that EACH church is different..don't ride off all C of C's just because of this experience..although I know there are some other great options out there too. Big hugs to you both!!
Carrie Brown

Anonymous said...

Thank you to all of you (ladies) that sent us a note either via blog or by email. Jack and I have been through a turbulent time of emotions and feelings. And yet some of you write to us and are praying for us - you have no idea how much this is helping us with our faith. We know that in time we will heal, but it will never be the same. But for now we say from the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU! Thank you for telling us it will be okay; thank you for praying for our future both in the work world and in the church world. We know that we have many of you on our spiritual side pulling for us, thank you for that. Once we are on an upward swing I will post about our search - but folks thank you so much for all the encouragement! We love all of you! Gerri & Jack