Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thanksgiving - A Time To Be Thankful

I'm not sure about today's caption after this past week. Jack and I drove up to Edmonton to be with my Aunt as my Uncle was slowly, very slowly slipping away for good. While we were at the hospice we got a call from my older brother saying that my dad had been rushed to the Royal Alex hospital in Saskatoon. They were waiting for a surgeon to give them an update but from what the ultrasound and xray showed, he either had a blockage or more cancer but in his bowel. So the surgery would be by laproscopic and it would only take 30 minutes, so that was at 5:30 pm. Well by 8:30 we were quite concerned and when we called no one had come out of surgery to update the family. The waiting is what can cause a family the agony...waiting to die, waiting to live - each so crucial for the family left behind. Well by 9:20 we finally received the call stating that my dad's bowel had ruptured spilling into his body cavity. This wouldn't be so bad except that because he had just had his 2nd last chemo treatment he has no immune system to fight of the poisonous substance that was now floating in the body cavity. The doctors assured my mom & family that they had taken extra care in washing my dad's organs and cleaning out the cavity. They also had to cut 10 inches of bowel off (from the rupture) and it now will wear a bag for the next 6-12 months and hopefully he can be re-attached then. So Jack and I decided that the next place to be was in Saskatoon so we left early this morning to drive to Saskatoon to be with family and support my mom through all of this. My sister arrives in the morning so that all of us kids can make some crucial decisions about home care for my dad. He will most likely need a hospital bed; good thing they already have a walk in shower (no tub) so he most likely just needs a chair to sit in; so we called Darin (Donna works for MediChair) to find out a few things. Plus my sister-in-law, Caren says that the Occupational Therapist will help us in getting the necessities for the house to help out with the care that my dad could require. As for Cancer treatment my dad is on hold while the antibiotics try to do there thing.
Are we grateful for anything? I guess we can ask that question but having faith has taught us a couple of things; one is that God will take my uncle when he knows that his last breath is breathed; two, my dad is alive and so God saw fit that he should live through surgery. Perhaps, another thing God will be teaching all of us is patience to deal with another medical concern and see how us all of us will handle this crisis. We must all be patient and deal with one thing at a time. We are thankful that we drove through a lot of bad winter storms and that we got here in one piece. So yes we are thankful to have faith and believe that God is watching out for all of us.

No comments: